Camping with Kids
After several attempts, we finally went on our first family camping trip. I love giving my kids experiences and will do anything for them…even go camping! Growing up when we went camping, it was in an RV and it was in a camp ground that had a pool, gift shop, and most of all a BATHROOM. This time we would be camping at a place that basically had a fire pit. Needless to say, I was a little nervous about how this would go. We had the tent and borrowed sleeping bags from our friends, so we were all set. There was so much preparation involved in planning meals, shopping, getting the food, blankets, packing layers of clothes, etc. It really was so much fun. Our kids were so happy and really enjoyed it, so maybe we will become regulars. Here are some ideas with kids:
* Stargazing with star maps (you can print them on line, very helpful if you forget what the constellations look like).
* Scavenger hunt: find pine cones, bugs, flowers, skipping stones, walking stick, etc.
* Bug box
* Jokes and stories for around the campfire
* Kids camera: have them capture their experience with pictures
* Flashlight fun: tag, reading books in the tent, etc.
* Magnifying glass: as you hike have kids explore and look for bugs or other things in nature
* Buckets and shovels: dig for worms, treasures, etc.