Candy Corn Fun
The kids talked me into getting candy corn at the store the other day (not that they had to try too hard!). We decided to put it to good use before enjoying the sweetness. Here are some things we did.
* Measured things with the candy corn (books, small figures, etc.) Through this we talked about perimeter, length, and width.
* Estimating with how many would fit in different cups, 1 Tablespoon, 1/3 cup, etc. then counted them
* Made shapes with them
* Story problems: If I gave you 10 then you were generous and gave 6 away, how many did you still have.
* Count out some: I gave them a pile and had them count out of the pile a certain amount.
* Number combinations: How can you make 5? 2 and 3 more, 4 and 1 more, 2 and 2 and 1 more.
Of course at the end we got to eat some candy corn, yummy. The kids really enjoyed this and didn’t see it as me trying to teach them something. They even asked to do it again later in the afternoon, but not even eat more candy corn! Happy exploring!