Author Archives: mochellysue
After school my kids decided they wanted to clean using wipes, uh sure! I gave them each a wipe and they cleaned the stroller, bikes, scooters, basically anything they could get their hands on. We have done this before with a bucket of soapy water and rags, but since it was slightly chilly we stuck with the wipes. Sometimes I forget how they love to help and serve and be useful too. What an awesome way to show their appreciation, as moms we don’t always recognize it! Here is a look.
Lately my son has been really into cooking…hopefully this will last! My husband is such an amazing cook, I think that is a lot of his inspiration. The kids have been asking if they can make dinner, however due to other plans we decided on breakfast. They made their own pancakes. We mixed up the simple batter and then they added in special items like sour patch kids and sweet tarts (gag). They were nasty, but the kids had fun making them. They did make some that were delicious combos like peanut butter and banana, and strawberries with chocolate chips, YUM! I love to encourage their creativity, and they mess never lasts too long. Tonight is pizza night…maybe they’ll invent a new favorite!
Today we got to plant some of our seeds for our garden! I am really excited about our garden this year as we have lots of space to make it large. I decided to keep track of what we planted we’d decorate rocks and write the name of each plant on it. My kids really got into it! They enjoyed being able to spell the words on their own, choose their marker color, and make it their own. We just used Sharpies..quick and simple, and now I will know what is growing in my garden.
My son is just slightly obsessed with basketball. To entertain him, as well as our whole family, we made up a game to play with our hoop. We drew circles around our driveway (and then across the street) and wrote numbers inside the circle to show how much each one is worth. The closer the circle, the least amount of points. It was lots of fun. I started with numbers 1, 5, and 10. Isaiah added ones worth 30 and 90 points! It is a great way to practice basketball skills as well as addition. Love it! Here is a look.
Today my kids discovered water draining down the road by our driveway and we decided to turn it into a fun project. Here are some fun water ideas that we did.
* We brought out our water bottles and a bucket to refill them and slowly added more water to the stream to see how far it would go…they loved making it grow!
* We tried to float some of our bath toys in it but it wasn’t deep enough.
* We build dams out of different things to see which would hold the water the best. Some things we tried were sticks, leaves, and rocks.
*We studied it the next day to discover most of it was gone!
* Splashed it it, of course!
* We also made a big pond, as we called it, and measured the water.
* We raced the water we poured in the stream down the hill.
* We also made handprints by getting our hands wet and slapping them on the ground!
* Add food coloring and see the water turn colors.
It was a fun way to experience the good outdoors without too much exercise for my sweet daughter. I love the times when my kids are just creative and invent new games and ways to explore!
1 week ago my daughter broke her collar bone. Sad! It actually heals fast, yet all physical activity is out for 4-6 weeks!!! Sigh. To keep my daughter still while at home we made her her very own special bag. I filled the bag with coloring books, puzzles, stickers, markers, books, and other fun things people have sent her to make her feel loved and special while she can’t run and be active. This would be great for kids that are sick or have a broken bone. Happy Healing!!!
Easter in our world today a lot of times means eggs, bunnies, and chicks. These things are fun and entertaining, but this year we are seeking to have our kids remember the true meaning of Easter. Here is a look at our week of Easter Celebration.
Sunday: Palm Sunday, Jesus is treated like a King as people wave palm branches and lay their coats down so he didn’t have to walk on the dirty road. They also shouted Hosanna (Save us). Today we will be making our own palm branches and talking about how Jesus is the true King!
Monday: Jesus cleans the temple. This is the day Jesus found people making the house of the Lord a place to make money. Jesus was upset that they weren’t respecting His Father’s house. He took out the things that didn’t belong, and cleaned house! Today we will paint Easter Eggs and get really messy…then show each other how we need Jesus to clean us up, just like he saw dirty things happening and clean house.
Tuesday: Mary pouring perfume of Jesus feet, what a great display of love and adoration Mary showed for Him. Today my kids and I will make reed diffusers to spread the wonderful smell around our house, see more at http://impressyourkids.org/mary-anoints-jesus-feet-easter-for-kids/ I saw this idea and loved it! (We ended up making Easter cookies instead due to family life, this worked better for us, we talked about the wonderful smell of the cookies baking)
Wednesday: Money Hunt: Judas sold Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Today my kids and I will hunt for 30 coins hidden over our house. Once we find them we will count them and give them to our church!
Thursday: The Last Supper: We are actually going to our church tonight to celebrate Jesus’ last supper with his disciples, with our fellow believers. We will also participate in communion together.
Friday:Good Friday: Today is the day we will talk about Jesus dying for us on the cross. He did it out of His deep, unconditional, love for us. He chose to die for us. Another idea I saw on impress your kids is to draw a red dot on their hands (representing the nails) and also writing their names above the dot to show he loves Ayla, Isaiah, Michelle, and Trevor. He died for us.
We will also make our own crown of thorns (saw this idea on Pinterest). Use a paper lunch sack and fold it down so it looks like a circle/nest. Glue all over the top, add sticks to it and you are done.
Saturday: We are going to make resurrection rolls (Easy). Take a large marshmallow (Jesus’ body) dip in melted butter (oil)and roll in cinnamon and sugar(spices). Roll a crescent roll (tomb) around it and bake. When they are done the marshmallow (Jesus) is gone! It is quite yummy too!
Sunday: He is Risen! We will be at church, celebrating our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! I am so thankful for His love and death for me a sinner, who is undeserving, but ever so thankful. We will also get to spend time with family.
Have a meaningful Easter!
We had a wonderful spring break! Truly so much fun to get to spend lots of low key time at home with my kids, how I’ve missed that!! To end our week of fun we decided to camp in the backyard (but not sleep all night due to the rough sleep my husband has had and the colder temperatures at night).
We My husband set up the tent in our backyard, we brought out pillows and blankets and enjoyed our pretend camp. We had fun tent wrestling, going on a hike around our backyard, collecting sticks for our fire (in our fire pit), star and moon gazing, looking for signs of wildlife, and roasting s’mores. It truly was a fun memory for our family, next time we might even spend the whole night outside (when the weather warms). Here is a look.
Now that my kids are older, I thought this year I try some April Fools pranks on them…looking forward to seeing how they respond. Here are some ideas to make this day fun and exciting for them!
* While they are sleeping draw a mustache on them, make sure it is washable marker!!! I might be chicken and do it on their feet or arm since we have church that morning… we’ll see.
* Rearrange their drawers. Move them around and watch them be confused.
* Open a jar of canned fruit and put the fruit into another container and refrigerate. Rinse the can and fill it up with candy. Watch as your kids are delighted to open up the can filled with candy!!!! (BE CAREFUL of sharp edges on the cans.)
* I am not doing this one since sleep is far to important to me still but it would be fun to move the clocks ahead and have them awaken in the middle of the night…maybe when they are teenagers?
* I am trying to find a whoopee cushions to put on my sons chair..he would LOVE it!
* I will freeze pennies and right before church, slip them into their shoes!
* Another fun idea might be to turn the volume up really loud on your TV so they kids get surprised…not sure my son would enjoy that:)
* I was thinking for our family we might do a dinner that is a mystery. I did this in youth group awhile back and it was loads of fun. Decide the menu and separate each item you’d need for the dinner. Spaghetti: Needed: sauce, cheese, noodles, fork, cup, milk, brownie, green beans, butter, bread, knife, etc. Type each item up and make enough copies for each person. Cut each item apart and have each person draw 3 items at a time. After drawing the 3 items that is what you get for your first course. Maybe we’ll get dessert first with an empty cup and a knife…who knows!
What fun ideas do you have planned for your family?